A cleaner exhaust systems means a cleaner environment. But many times, this also means sacrificing performance and reliability. With VOSS SCR systems, you can have it all – without having to make unnecessary sacrifices.
Our electrically heated SCR systems are designed to heat and transport a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), called AdBlue®, to the SCR catalyst, which converts nitrogen oxide (NOx) into harmless water vapor and nitrogen gas – natural elements in the air we breathe. This reliable and economical solution ensures all engines meet emission standards, without sacrificing vehicle performance, fuel consumption and engine reliability.
Properties of AdBlue
AdBlue freezes at 11°C. As standed requirements for commerical vehicle components assume a minimum temperature of -40°C, the AdBlue in the system circuit must be temperature-regulated, or insulated, during operation. When turning the vehicle off, the reducing agent is generally returned to the tank by an automatic system to avoid line damage from the freezing AdBlue. This occurs using compressed air or valve controls.
But if you don't have the right compressed air or valve controls, or other SCR system components, AdBlue can cause significat corrosion.
Modules and Components for Electrically Heated SCR Systems
Heated AdBlue lines require suction and return lines between the reducing agent tank and the pump modules, as well as the lines from the pump module to the dosing module. Routing and installing of these lines is often complex. However, VOSS can help optimize routing and installation for space-saving solutions using proprietary design methods and unqiue components, including:
- Quick Connect System 241N and System 246NX – They're perfectly suitable for connecting AdBlue lines, thanks to their tightness and quick assembly. Flow-stop valvues and AdBlue filters can be integrated in the connecting components.
- Air Lines – Air lines for purging the system can be non-formed or pre-formed, depending on the application. Regardless, all lines are made to your specifications.
- Injection Nozzle – This atomizes the urea and directs it into the exhaust gas flow before the SCR catalytic converter. It's made of stainless steel because of the required media resistance, and to resist high operating temperatures.
- DEF Quality Sensor – Its electrically heated connection system ensures consistent cold weather performance, and it can be adjusted to meet your specific requirements (i.e.: 46-minute deforst time at -30°C).
- Modules – Many customers prefer to purchase ready-to-install line bundles from VOSS. And we're ready to design a modules that meets your needs, your plans and your objectives.
Electrical Heating Concept & Technical Features
Our electric heating concept means:
- Boosted thaw performance
- Enhanced energy efficiency
- Decreased power consumption
- Reduced weight and time
- Optimized routing
- Fewer installation steps
- 100 percent leak-proof, material-bonded connection
Technical features of our electrically heated lines and connections include:
- Tubes sizes 4x1, 5x1, 6x1 and 8x1
- Hose IDs 3.2 and 4mm
- Suitable for Euro VI and successors
- Complete assortment of quick connect systems in various sizes and configurations
- High temperature configurations, up to 160°C (long term) and 180°C (short term)
- Operationally reliable heated bursting pressures at temperatures up to 180°C
- <100 mbar pressure differential for lines up to 12,000mm long
- No noise emissions from moving line components
- Approved for off-road applications, commercial trucks and passenger cars
- Purity levels are compliant with automotive standards
Want to learn more? Download our whitepaper titled,
"Energy Efficient Electrical Heating of SCR Lines."
Updated: November 6, 2017.